A comment posted on Jezebel that points out the absurdity of victim blaming and rape culture in a handy guide that explains how women can avoid being assaulted, since they are to blame for such things, not the people who perpetrate the act.
“The “What Have We Learned on Jezebel this Past Month” Guide to Not Getting Assaulted if You’re a Lady:
1. Be a judge. Criticizing and/or ordering men tells them you need to be tamed. It also triggers their natural rape instinct, like when a wolf or lion attacks its prey and the deer has the gall to run - this only invites further aggression from the predator, and men are by nature predators.
2. Be a cheerleader. Supporting men constitutes consent. Exempted: if your boyfriend’s on the team, or your outfit satisfies a condition for employment.
3. Be in the vicinity of a supply closet. Standing next to small, confined spaces tells men you want to be done in them.
4. Be a feminist. See #1.
5. Be ugly. You are clearly too grateful for any male attention to have been hurt by the experience. If anything, you violated him.
6. Have a job. See #s 1-3.
7. Be easily offended by crass comments, lewd behavior, and unsolicited touching. If you can’t be “one of the guys”, you won’t get treated like “one of the guys”. You don’t see guys raping their male buddies, do you? You want to be treated like one of the guys, right?
8. Respond to male intellectual discussion with wordy history lessons. Men have needs, and your consent, education, literacy, critical thinking skills, and brain aren’t any of them. This is why many social structures - such as your lesser pay, eroding reproductive rights, and assumptions about your drinking habits and sexual history - favor you ladies over men. You say you want equality, yet society favors you and we don’t hear you voluntarily giving up perks like always knowing when the opposite sex clearly likes you (e.g. groping, whistling, disturbingly locked-in eye contact, rape), getting to wear breezy skirts during hot summer months instead of taking home larger paychecks, or getting automatic monthly sick time instead of unequivocal and unquestionably Constitutionally-protected rights. You can’t have your cake and eat it too, ladies. Also, you should probably not be having cake to begin with (see #5).
9. Drink. Ever. Your default consent is “Yes” until you say “No”. Not being able to say “No”, or not being able to remember if you said “No”, count as “Yes”. Saying “No” also means “Yes”.
1. Be stoic, sane, virgin, cool, huggable, friendless, non-emailing, selfless, non-nosy, outspoken, unemployed, short, and pretty. This is all or nothing, ladies. A single failure voids all your hard work elsewhere.
2. Work and live in male-free zones, in order to avoid natural male urges which are natural. For all men. Remember: your attacker spends his time winning Super Bowls, running world banks, exposing state secrets, governating Cullyfornia, or drawing funny comics about office life under late stage capitalism. Men simply do not have the intelligence or willpower to comprehend what you really meant or wanted when you asked for that raise or responded to his request to come home with him or passed him on the street wearing heels and a non-burka outfit.
Please print and post this where you and your lady-friends can be reminded of how you are responsible for not seducing or misleading would-be attackers. Recommended areas easily accessible by women who aren’t asking for it include: kitchens, dining rooms, laundry rooms, children’s bedrooms, the house cleaning supplies section of Walmart, salad bars, yogurt retailers, Victoria’s Secret (but only during the day, when men are too busy earning manly paychecks to see you trying on suggestive clothing), and your nearest Sephora location.”
[TRIGGER WARNING for the t-slur]
I just don’t feel that it’s all that sexy. It’s weird. And uncomfortable. I look at photos of myself, and I look like such a tranny! It’s amazing!
I look like Grace Jones, androgynous, robo, future fashion queen. It’s not what is sexy. It’s graphic and it’s art.
I don’t really think anybody’s d*** is hard, looking at that. I think they’re just confused and maybe a little scared.
lady gaga i hate you so fucking much (via geromy)
Oh my god this is so incredibly fucked up
Please for the love of god tell me this is fake and that she’s not actually stupid enough to think that this is an okay thing to say
Yep, she actually said that. Source.
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
Oh God, it’s actually real this time? Her real self is WAY douchey-er than any of those fake gif quotes. Everything is terrible about this quote, EVERYTHING! 1. Slur 2. compared herself to GRACE JONES, 3. implied that Grace Jones DOES NOT have sex appeal and neither do trans women or androgynous ppl. They are artsy costumes she wears to be shocking, not real people’s identities and self expression.
What liquornspice said. AUGH. GRACE JONES = <3<3<3
Well of course Gaga is a privileged appropriative little shit. How are people shocked by this?
Colonizability of Africa. (1899)
A map by cartographer John George Bartholomew (1860-1920)
I’m going to take the time to type this out, because, you know, holy shit.
The pink: Healthy colonizable Africa, where European races may be expected to become in time the prevailing type, where essentially European states may be formed.
The yellow: Fairly healthy Africa: but where unfavourable conditions of soil or water supply, or the prior establishment of warlike or enlightened native races or other causes, may effectually prevent European colonization.
The gray: Unhealthy but exploitable Africa: impossible for European colonizaiton but for the most part of the great commercial value and inhabited by fairly docile, governable races; the Africa of the trader and planter and of despotic European control
The brown: Extremely unhealthy Africa
I have no words to describe any of this, except to note that this was a genocide that these bastards planned, and carried out, in many many parts.
Next time someone tells you to “just get over it”, it being the European colonization of the world…. show them this. Some things…. you just don’t ever get over.
It makes me SICK to think we’re supposed to pick up pieces of ourselves and somehow be not-broken, just because there isn’t *visible* presence of the colonisers anymore.
You know what, fellow ‘progressive’ white people, I’d really like to see us stop pretending shit exists in a vacuum when it suits us. (And I include myself here because I was not born somehow apart from this racist culture). It is abusive plain and simple, we need to check our shit.
“In life, events tend to follow patterns. People who commit crimes tend to be criminals, for example. Can anyone tell me any economists who have been convicted of violent sex crimes? Can anyone tell me of any heads of nonprofit international economic entities who have ever been charged and…